NetBase Social Media Report Ranks Apple and eBay as Leaders in the Global Luxury Brand Conversation
eBay Jumps from 27th to 5th Place Behind Apple with 896% Mention Increase Year-Over-Year in NetBase Luxury Brand Passion Report
SANTA CLARA, CA. – January 26, 2016 NetBase, a global leader in enterprise social analytics, today release its second annual NetBase Brand Passion Report: Luxury Brands, which ranks the top 45 luxury brands based on volume of social mentions and intensity of consumer sentiment. The report looked at more than 700 million posts across luxury, watches and commerce, which spanned over 80 countries. Read the full NetBase Brand Passion Report: Luxury Brands online.
“It’s clear from the NetBase report that luxury is in the eye of the beholder,” said Hope Nguyen, vice president of marketing at NetBase. “Today, online shopping convenience and advanced technologies are driving a new world of luxury brands and categories that fall outside the traditional definition of luxury. Consumer passion for luxury is growing and the brands that are effectively connecting with consumers are the ones that are gaining momentum in social and the bottom line.”
The NetBase Brand Passion Report: Luxury Brands is based on brand conversations across social networks, review sites, blogs, forums, and news sites worldwide, between September 1, 2014 and August 31, 2015. The overall luxury conversation grew by 75% year-over-year and social chatter more than doubled for the top 15 luxury brands.
Ranking highlights include:
- Chanel moves to the number one spot, replacing Louis Vuitton’s ranking in last year’s report.
- Apple (#4), iPhone (#11) and Apple Watch (#13) make the Top 15 list while iPad drops completely off the list.
- Among etailers, eBay sees a great upward movement from #27 to #5, while Amazon moves up from #31 to #20. A surprising new entry, Alibaba, joins the list at #16.
- Ferrari moves up to #17 with 363% mention increase, while Infiniti #38 and Rolls-Royce #45 join the list.
- A couple of new brands entering the list are MontBlanc at #31 and Richemont at #34.
Key insights include:
- A New Renaissance for Watches: In 2015, the category of watches saw great momentum on the heels of the Apple Watch launch. Apple Watch tops that subset list as the only smartwatch on the list, beating out Rolex, Tag Heuer, Richemont, Curren and Patek Phillippe for a top spot.
- Etailers Get a Lift: The report indicates a rise in digital retailers, which accounted for 10% of brand mentions. eCommerce brands that made it to the list include eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Net-A-Porter and Alibaba.
- European Brands Take the Crown: Much like 2014, European brands dominate the list, accounting for more than half (57%). In particular, French and Italian heritage brands continue to capture the conversation. The remainder of the list includes brands based in the United States (32%) and Asia (11%).
- The Breakdown of Luxury: Fashion and handbag vendors account for more than a third of the NetBase Luxury List this year, followed closely by automobiles (31%), and jewelry and accessories (13%).
- Top Channels and Blogs: Twitter and Facebook dominate the social channels on luxury topics, with luxurydaily.com and businessoffashion.com among the top blogs that drive the conversations.
The NetBase Brand Passion Report: Luxury Brands is based on brand conversations across social networks, review sites, blogs, forums, and news sites worldwide, between September 1, 2014 and August 31, 2015.
Using NetBase patented technology, the report surface consumer emotions, behaviors and usage towards the industry and select brands, how certain attributes define brand challenges and which players are setting the standards. NetBase maps a category using three dimensions:
- Social Chatter – measuring mentions and conversations across social networks, review sites, blogs, forums, and news sites worldwide;
- Passion Intensity – indicating how strong consumers feel about a brand or company based on a scale of 0-100; and
- Net Sentiment – measuring the overall direction of how consumers feel about a brand’s marketing, customer service and products on a scale of -100 to +100.
These three dimensions form the NetBase Brand Passion Index™, which signals the brand health and tracks a brand’s movement over time, ultimately reflecting whether a brand is winning the hearts of the consumers. By better understanding what consumers truly want and their emotional investment, brands can turn social conversations into powerful marketing tools that truly satisfy consumer passions.
NetBase is the award-winning social analytics platform that global companies use to run brands, build businesses, and connect with consumers every second. Its platform processes millions of social media posts daily for actionable business insights for marketing, research, customer service, sales, PR, and product innovation. NetBase is a trusted partner to American Airlines, Arby’s, Coca-Cola, Ogilvy, T-Mobile, Universal Music Group, Walmart, and YUM! Brands. Learn more at https://www.netbase.com or @NetBase. See your brand’s social movement in real-time with NetBase LIVE Pulse™.