What is Social Listening?
Social listening is the process of monitoring, segmenting and analyzing conversations across social media in order to measure brand sentiment, the effectiveness of social campaigns, and to fuel content creation for target audiences.
Tuning into what consumers are saying tells you everything you could ever need to know about your audience – allowing you to say exactly the right thing when you speak.
3 Things you Need to Know
- Social media listening is searching the web and the social space to see what’s being said about your company, your competitors and other topics of interest.
- There are dozens of different ways to use social listening for your business.
- Natural language processing (NLP) is key to obtaining accurate customer sentiment.
What is "Social Listening" for
The short answer is: Everything. Not just everything to do with your brand – but everything your audience cares about. This is a new way of approaching marketing, where psychographics – opinions, attitudes, and behaviors – trump demographics. Your audience expects everything to be about them now, so marketing based on superficial factors won’t cut it.
Are demographics useless then? No – but they’re not the end-all-be-all. Demographics give you a starting point – that audience you assume you have. But when you delve into psychographic attributes you’re often surprised to discover your audience is more expansive than you realized.
How to gain better results with Social Listening?
For best results, focus your efforts on identifying:
- Segments of “feel-alike” users – those with shared interests they are passionate about, because emotion is what drives social sharing.
- Which channels your audience is most active on – they might not be the ones you expect.
- The content, topics, and trends your audience can’t help but interact with and share.
- Who your Advocates and Influencers are that drive the most engagement.
- Where is the most opportunity to connect with audiences psychographic attributes.
Social Listening Articles
Some days, it feels like there really isn’t anything new you can sort out about your audience – and those are the days you are mistaken. If you allow the data to inspire your efforts, you’ll find the opposite to be true. When accurate data is your muse, your real...
The case for social listening has been stated numerous times – and it’s a solid one. Not only does social listening lead you to important insights about your audience – it protects every aspect of your brand when you apply those insights. Still, some continue to...
How far back should you go when analyzing social media? That depends on your objective and what you’re trying to monitor, but having the option to go back in time 51 months would offer lots of possibilities, wouldn’t it? We think so! Seasons Change, So Does Data For...