What is Social Media Intelligence?
Social media intelligence (SMI or SOCMINT) represents the stack of technology solutions and methods used to monitor social media including social conversations and emerging trends. This intelligence is then analyzed and used to create meaningful content and make business decisions across many disciplines.
The term social media intelligence was advanced in a 2012 paper written by Sir David Omand, Jamie Bartlett and Carl Miller for the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media, at the London-based think tank.
3 Things you Need to Know
- Social Media Intelligence are the collective tools and solutions that enable organizations to monitor social channels and conversations.
- The most common uses are – brand health, competitive analysis, and crisis management.
- Natural language processing (NLP) is key to obtaining accurate customer sentiment.
It's all about being ready
With so many variables at play, all brands are at risk of finding themselves at the center of controversy – and the real-time nature of social media makes brand crises that much harder to contain. But protecting your brand is worst isn’t impossible – that’s what Social Media Intelligence is for.
Being prepared for the worst is your best chance to avoid it happening in the first place. Here’s how:
- Stay in the know – a single negative tweet isn’t a crisis, but ignoring it could turn it into one. Pay attention to the little things and solve problems while they’re small enough to be solved; set up alerts to notify you of highly negative keywords and trends.
- Establish a baseline – you can’t know if sentiment is off unless you know where you stand on a typical day, so you’ve got to track overall brand health, core issues, and emerging themes regularly.
- Establish a Social Crisis Plan – everyone should know their role if a crisis unfolds. Develop a repeatable framework and process for handling future events. Identify areas of success and opportunities for improvement. And systematize it.
Social Media Intelligence
Sales in the restaurant industry have grown by more than $300 billion since 2000. How can brands in this thriving industry capture their share of the market? The NetBase 2018 Social Intelligence Report: Restaurants offers tips brands in any industry can bring to the...
With all the options consumers now have, competitive intelligence is crucial to brand survival. But how do you extract useful insights from social sites to ensure you're not only keeping up with, but besting the competition? Here's the answer: Apply social media...
By now all brands are convinced of the benefits social media insights bring to their marketing and overall strategy. But if you don't know just how important monitoring social media is to brand health and success, here are 59 stats to remind you. We've got general...