What is Social Media Intelligence?
Social media intelligence (SMI or SOCMINT) represents the stack of technology solutions and methods used to monitor social media including social conversations and emerging trends. This intelligence is then analyzed and used to create meaningful content and make business decisions across many disciplines.
The term social media intelligence was advanced in a 2012 paper written by Sir David Omand, Jamie Bartlett and Carl Miller for the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media, at the London-based think tank.
3 Things you Need to Know
- Social Media Intelligence are the collective tools and solutions that enable organizations to monitor social channels and conversations.
- The most common uses are – brand health, competitive analysis, and crisis management.
- Natural language processing (NLP) is key to obtaining accurate customer sentiment.
It's all about being ready
With so many variables at play, all brands are at risk of finding themselves at the center of controversy – and the real-time nature of social media makes brand crises that much harder to contain. But protecting your brand is worst isn’t impossible – that’s what Social Media Intelligence is for.
Being prepared for the worst is your best chance to avoid it happening in the first place. Here’s how:
- Stay in the know – a single negative tweet isn’t a crisis, but ignoring it could turn it into one. Pay attention to the little things and solve problems while they’re small enough to be solved; set up alerts to notify you of highly negative keywords and trends.
- Establish a baseline – you can’t know if sentiment is off unless you know where you stand on a typical day, so you’ve got to track overall brand health, core issues, and emerging themes regularly.
- Establish a Social Crisis Plan – everyone should know their role if a crisis unfolds. Develop a repeatable framework and process for handling future events. Identify areas of success and opportunities for improvement. And systematize it.
Social Media Intelligence
Social media intelligence is bigger than simply collecting follows and likes on your social media profiles. When gathered by top-notch technology, it's a wealth of data that – applied well – can change the course of your business. Here's how: 1. Getting to know...
Public relations has never been easy, but the immediacy of social media offers new hurdles for those in PR to constantly jump. At the same time, there have never been greater advantages for PR professionals than those offered by social media – which is the subject of...